Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Personal Forgiveness Test Case

Disenchanted largely by the radio stations here in Columbus I tend to listen to Spots Talk Radio exclusively. My local ESPN Radio channel carries Mike & Mike in the Morning which is always on when I am taking my short drive to work. Today, like just about every other day for about a month, the conversation eventually gets around to Michael Vick, one time NFL All-Pro for the Atlanta Falcons but now social pariah due to a felony conviction for all things associated with Dog Fighting. I am generally tired of Vick stories except for the speculations on which NFL team will brave the public relations firestorm and sign the now 29 year old Quarterback. The reason for this is simple: my favorite team could use a QB and I am petrified that they will sign Michael Vick. 

Growing up in California during the heyday of the San Francisco 49ers, I am a loyal 49er Faithful. The team has fallen on hard times but I still have my DVD copies of their Super Bowl victories (all 5 of them) which I tend to pop in when I need a little encouragement. There is not one thing that is wrong with the 49ers but several. I like to think that they are one poised, decent Quarterback from making a run at the playoffs (others have agreed).  So it doesn't come to a surprise that when Michael Vick was released from federal custody recently his name began to surface as a potential "good fit" for the 49ers QB woes. I got to be honest...I am having a hard time with this. I am still angry at Michael Vick. I am petrified the 49ers will sign Vick.

As a life-long lover of animals & someone who grew up with the sweetest and loving dog imaginable who also happened to be a Pit Bull I find Vick's convicted acts despicable and inducing of a rage/hatred that burns bright. I wanted to see Vick ruined. I wanted to see him tossed in a jail for which there was no key. I cringed at every account, photo, description of the atrocities that were committed on property under the supervision of Vick. In fact even writing this makes me livid. To put it bluntly if I never heard of or saw Vick's face on TV or print again I would be thrilled. Obviously that didn't happen. Vick's public relations trial still dominates and now that his football career has seemingly been given a second chance maybe it is time I do the same.

Michael Vick as a person - remorseful or otherwise - is a total mystery to me. I don't know him and don't guess I will ever meet him. I, like most of America, know what I know about Vick from the gridiron or from the news. I have heard accounts of his acceptance of the punishment that was laid before him, his expressed regret for the things he has done, and his adamant rejection of the lifestyle that deemed Dog Fighting acceptable. To my knowledge Vick said these things & meant them when doing so. To my knowledge Vick is a changed man. To my knowledge Vick wants to start over and given the chance to live again. For some this is not good enough - his pound of flesh coming up light - but I am convicted to recognize that if I do not forgive Vick, if I do not grant him another chance, then I am not deserving of having my own appeals heard. If I don't forgive Vick then what chance do I have of being forgiven? If I am not willing to crawl into bed with my own hypocrisy then I must admit if Vick truly is remorseful and he is asking the nation to forgive him then how can I withhold my own forgiveness? I am still angry at the mistreatment of animals in this world but as for Vick, should the 49ers sign him, I am done hating the man. 

No comments: