Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fight Ignorance - Jesus, The Bible and Homosexuality

In the second installment of my Summer Series, Fight Ignorance, I wanted to spend a little time discussing a few resources that, like MuslimVoices.org, will help create dialog and combat stereotypes and misinformation. This week I would like to address faith in the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender community (aka. GLBT)

Many of you already know where I stand on this issue. I believe that God's Love supersedes anything else on heaven or earth. Therefore for anyone to systematically bar God's children from seeking after a relationship with their Creator and amongst a faith community is the epitome of a certain hubris that believes there are levels of humanity and some folks outrank others in the eyes of God. I, myself, am not qualified nor equipped to look at the world and divide and judge. I believe that we all are called to something more human - that is to see each of us as equally human and work to resign ourselves to leave God's work to God. But there are many folks who would disagree with me siting the Bible or other theologies that claim something very different than what I just said.

This rub - both sides claiming God, Scripture, and the Church as the source of their argument - can be painful and difficult for many who wrestle with this issue themselves. In the hopes that dialog can be created and misinformation can be dispelled I wanted to bring up two resources that I believe can help someone who wants to explore this issue faithfully.

The first is a book by former PCUSA Moderator (a big deal in PCUSA circles) Jack Rogers entitled Jesus, the Bible and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church. In this recently revised publication Rodgers clearly spells out what it is that the Bible does and does not say regarding Homosexuality and addresses issues that arise when we seek to live by the Word of God rather than what we have been told it says. Included in the updated edition of Rogers book is a study guide and a collection of stories from the GLBT community that helps put a real world, here and now face to the issues Rogers brings up. If you cannot manage to get your hands on a copy of the book I recommend Rogers' blog and website.

The second resource is a small book put out by the Covenant Network of Presbyterians entitled Far From Home: Tales of Presbyterian Exiles. This short booklet shares a series of profiles of PCUSA individuals that have been shunned or have been kicked out of their faith communities because they are GLBT. The pain comes out clearly in the stories of individuals that desire to both serve the God they love and the church but have been told no. This resource may be hard to find but if you would like to borrow my copy please let me know.

I hope that you will take the opportunity to investigate this issue that is currently center stage for many Christians and denominations. It is my hope that no matter where you come down on this issue that you do so through dialog and from a position of inquiry. It is important for all of us to fight ignorance and stereotypes so that we might seek true community with our brothers and sisters.

Next week we will take a look at Fight Ignorance: Economic Disparity

No comments: