Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fight Ignorance - Women and Faith


It is my blog so I can do what I want...so this week I want to put the blog post about Economic Disparity on the back burner and spend my Fight Ignorance weekly post about Women & Faith. Today (thanks to some friends) I stumbled upon a wonderful article by former President Jimmy Carter entitled Losing My Religion for Equality in which Carter spends some time reflecting on his decision to leave the Southern Baptist Convention due to their stance that women must be "subservient" to their husbands. I would like to defer to Carter's words as we engage this important issue. Therefore I would like to substitute this article for my own words this week. Please take the time to read this not long article by one of America's great humanitarians.



1 comment:

Stefanie Osborne said...

Well said, Jimmy! A Christian woman that I greatly respect (and who led me to faith) once told me that it might be ok to say that women should be subservient to men, EXCEPT that our first priority is our Great Commission, to share the gospel with all people. When all the work is done, and we have shared Christ with everyone, then maybe we can talk about having 50% of Christians not using their gifts and abilities to their full potential, and relegate women to non-leadership roles. But right now there is too much work to do. The harvest is plentiful, and the workers are few.