Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Standing in the doorway

What is it about my office that seems to attract conversation taking place in my doorway? Virtually no one comes in and sits down. Seems that all my conversations happen in the doorway. Maybe I smell bad...no one wants to get close.

Today somebody started crying in my doorway. He was looking for something he couldn't find in a place he didn't know and I think that he was scared. But he started crying. Now I have joked with those in my doorway, been challenged, discussed sermons, spoken out loud credit card numbers, and done a great deal of business with someone in my doorway but never had anyone cry.

I don't want to make light of this because I can't shake it. Maybe he thought that he was being taken to the "Principal's Office" church-style. Maybe he thought that he was in trouble & he didn't dare approach to close lest he be detained. Maybe a lot of things. Yet I can't shake the scene... but I know why. I am humbled/disappointed by my inability, in this case, to recognize when something looks like business as usual but isn't. What he needed I didn't ensure he got. What he got was what I give seemingly everyone who stands in my door: an answer. I answered his question but failed to ask one myself.

So much of this job can be providing answers. When do we serve dinner again at the homeless shelter? May 16th. Do we have Sunday School this week? No. Standing at my door is something akin to Google. Type in what you want to know, get it answered, move on. Truthfully "handling business" with expediency can often be a springboard for success as an administrator, something Pastors are asked to do often, but at the end of the day I didn't feel God calling me into middle management. I believe that my relationship with God through Christ is indeed a relationship & it is also how I should live in community with others. It isn't economical, it isn't going to be the "best use of time", nor will it be the easiest way to live but I got to believe, especially when it is tough, that it is the most important thing that I do as a person and as a Pastor.

No comments: