Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's my Birthday, I can blog if I want to

Yesterday, June 10th was my birthday. Sometime around 3:15pm I turned 31 years old and embarked on my 32nd year walking this earth. Birthday's as of late have been getting closer and then becoming 30 years old. When I was 28 it was "2 more years to the big 3-0" and then turning 29 was like "this time next year you will be thirty." Then when I finally turned 30 the general consensus was that the milestone of being three decades old was to be regarded as something akin to a right of passage into respectable adulthood. Existentially is it was just another year older to be sure, carrying with it no epic developmental milestones but socially, thirty was a big deal. Fast forward from June 10, 2008 to yesterday and I am now 31 and no one is making any sweeping assumptions about the hallmarks of my age. 31, like 26 is just another number,and all I really got was "another day older & deeper in debt." (Thanks Tennessee Ernie Ford)

So today, June 11th will feature my 1st full 24 hours of being 31. With one day down and 364 to go until my 32nd Birthday I am looking forward to what will be in store and where God will take me during this, my 31st year. In much the same way I am looking forward to where God will take us all during this "new" 364 days. How will I grow in my relationships? What challenges will be placed before me? What opportunities will I have to stand up for what I hold to be true? Where will I be taken and where will I visit? As I see them, these are the hallmarks of turning another year older.

Lastly, THANK YOU for all the cards and the birthday love I received yesterday. My BlackBerry (my beloved BB) was having a hard time keeping up with all the well-wishes. I feel very blessed to have such wonderful friends, family, and church-family as well.

Peace, BJS

No comments: