Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Full House: The Start of Summer Worship

Today Boulevard began its traditional Summer Worship schedule with one 10:00am service in the Sanctuary. While I spied a few people who got here right as the service was ending (that is people who came for the 11:15am service) overall everyone seemed to get the memo that we would begin at 10 AM and from my viewpoint we looked like a full house.

I like that term "full house" for our worshiping time together. The week that I was on vacation Kate and I experienced a full house when the caravan that was my brother and sister-in-law's cross nation move docked here in Grandview for free accommodations. All together there were 6 people staying in our 2 bedroom house and it was packed. With Reese and Laura (my brother and his wife) + Ted, their Dog in the guest/spare bedroom, my Dad in the basement on the futon, and with Amy (Laura's sister) on an Air Mattress (thank you Pam Paxton!) in the living room we were searching for every spare corner to stash someone or something else. With Kate and I making Occupants 5&6 we came to the realization that while this was by far the busiest this house has been since we moved in, it was exactly the reason why we have spare rooms and futons. Kate and I wanted to live in a house that could welcome family and friends when the opportunity presented itself. It is the reason we have more blankets, sheets, and pillows than any two people could ever use. It is the reason why we have a bed that sits in a room where no one sleeps and it is the reason that we have more towels than a Holiday Inn. We purposefully welcomed and prepared for the day that everyone would be under one roof. In some respects the welcoming of loved ones was what this house was designed for.

As a member of the staff I am excited to say that Boulevard is looking forward to the full house this summer. As we gather together for a single 10am service we will fill up the sanctuary physically but also spiritually. The place where we come to worship God and breath deep God's presence is there for the community to fill up not just in numbers but in song, prayer and worship. This is the true "Full House" to be found at Boulevard Presbyterian Church.

I hope to see you there for Sunday's worship. Join us at 10:00am!

Peace,
Brett

No comments: