Monday, July 12, 2010

Christmas in July

I wanted to let you know about the book I am now reading. It is called Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present by Hank Stuever. Perhaps a little sadistic to be reading about Christmas when it is in the 90s and 100% Humidity but it was next in the stack.

Tinsel takes place in Frisco, Texas, a suburb in the shadow of Dallas. By all accounts Frisco is built for commerce and the town is growing. Stuever embeds himself in the Christmas preparations of Frisco, a place the dust-jacket refers to as "happy, megachurchy, shoparific", to witness the excesses and beauty of the modern Christmas.

I will keep you updated as to what I find. I will note, that I am reading this with a special eye towards a potential book study here at Boulevard. If the book lives up to my hopes then I would imagine that it would be ripe for discussion during the holiday months.

No comments: